“The process is on for admitting students in electrical, mechanical and civil engineering degree and diploma courses. After completion of the procedure, we will start the classes soon in total Hindi medium,” said Vice Chancellor Dr Mohan Lal Chhipa.
To impart technical and medical education in Hindi, a much needed initiative in India’s higher education system, Madhya Pradesh’s Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwavidyalaya has commenced courses in Hindi medium for electrical, mechanical and civil streams.
‘We have to break this mindset that progress is assured through English only’
- University’s Vice Chancellor Dr Mohan Lal Chhipa said, “The process is on for admitting students in electrical, mechanical and civil engineering degree and diploma courses. After completion of the procedure, we will start the classes soon in total Hindi medium.”
- “We are determined to start these courses in Hindi language from this session even if a single student takes admission in it,” Chhipa said when asked about the intake in these courses
- “The issue is not intake. We have to break this mindset of English that dominated the country for over 250 years. It can’t be ended in just 70 years of country’s Independence,” he said
- “We have to break this mindset that progress is assured through English only,” the VC said
‘It is a matter of pride that we are imparting education in Hindi medium’
- He said it is a matter of huge respect that the university, which was set up in the name of noted Hindi scholar and former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, is working towards imparting education in technical subjects in Hindi medium
- The syllabus has already been drafted in Hindi and the university has already appointed faculty for imparting engineering courses in Hindi
‘It will take time to start the medical courses in Hindi’
- It will take time to start the medical courses in Hindi. However, the university has already written to the Medical Council of India for the permission
- “The process is long and will not change overnight, especially the mindset,” he added.
How is the university functioning now?
- At present, the university is functioning from the Minto Hall (Old Vidhan Sabha building) and its own campus is being constructed in a 50-acre area
- The university will commence engineering courses at present from Bhoj Open University’s campus and will shift to the new campus once its construction is over, he said
What will the university teach?
- Initially, the university is offering 30 seats each in civil, mechanical, electrical streams and also in diploma courses
- Apart from degree courses, the university will also run diploma courses in these disciplines, he said
- Chhipa said that the university will aim on creating job-seekers, but will train them in a manner that they become job-creator for others